I’ve just returned from a short holiday with my better half and her youngest son to Edinburgh. It was a great few days, my accent has been topped up nicely and we did all touristy things.
It was also great for my writing, as there was so much to gain ideas from. There was:
- Museums. A great place for inspiration
- Art Galleries. There were some truly wonderful paintings, which triggered ideas for characters and places.
- The Hotel. I do like people watching and where better to get ideas or mannerisms for characters
- The train – See Hotel above
- The Castle – Edinburgh Castle is a must see, but it is expensive, hence you need to spend half a day in it to get your money’s worth.
- The Real Mary Kings Close. Travel under Edinburgh itself and back in time.
- Statues and Monuments – Who are they? What did they do? What is the history of the regiments?
- The city itself. There are some truly magnificent old building in Edinburgh.
I am now all fired up and ready to get writing.
Although I’m a west coast Scot I would highly recommend, if you get a chance, to go to Edinburgh for a couple of days. You won’t regret it.
PS – and yes I did leave a review about the hotel when asked. How could i not, after all my moaning about people not leaving reviews lol.